• 出版社/出版日：Mordor Intelligence / 2021年1月
|Single User||￥603,500 (USD4,250)||▷ お問い合わせ|
|Team User||￥674,500 (USD4,750)||▷ お問い合わせ|
|Corporate License||￥1,065,000 (USD7,500)||▷ お問い合わせ|
The global supercapacitors market was valued at USD 887 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 1869.05 million by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 13.5% over the forecast period (2021 – 2026). The supercapacitor is an emerging technology for various energy storage systems, as it can offer higher power density than batteries and higher energy density over traditional capacitors. Power loss concern in traditional batteries has been a significant issue raised in many countries as well. Moreover, the zero-emission shift trend is enabling automotive manufacturers to invest in Hybrid EVs and EVs. This accounts for a significant opportunity for supercapacitors as automotive demand is anticipated to be largely driven by the amount of electrification in vehicles.
– Increasing demand for renewable energy solutions drives the market. There are upgradations to power generation from renewable resources to reduce the rapid depletion of natural resources, which is expected to drive the market for supercapacitors in the coming years. Governments and enterprises across the globe have announced their commitment to adding around 826GW of new non-hydro renewable power capacity by 2030. An estimated cost of USD 1 trillion is expected to be incurred on the same. According to the Global Trends report, about USD 2.7 trillion as already invested during the 2010-2019 decade.
– Wind turbines use supercapacitors for wind turbine pitch control. For instance, a leading wind turbine manufacturer, Suzlon, is using supercapacitors for its wind turbines. Due to the increasing awareness and proven efficiency of supercapacitors, an increase in the use of supercapacitors for wind turbines is expected to occur across the world.
– Further, primarily owing to the increased adoption in consumer electronics, the demand for supercapacitors increased significantly over the past few years. For instance, Samsung’s Galaxy Note 9 came with a nifty new feature: the S Pen stylus Bluetooth, and could be charged instantly using a supercapacitor. Several smartphone manufacturers invested in next-gen battery design to better protect against drops and weather conditions that drove smartphone supercapacitors’ growth.
– Further, In recent years, communication systems in telecom and space have propelled the demand for supercapacitors. The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), at its Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), developed the technology for processing supercapacitors (2.5 V) of varying capacitance values viz., 5 F, 120 F, 350 F, and 500 F, catering to specific applications related to space and societal needs.
– However, the COVID-19 outbreak and recent lockdown across the globe have affected the manufacturing activities, especially in Asia -Pacific, where a significant portion of the global supercapacitors and electrode materials are manufactured. Although in May 2020, many of these manufacturing sites resumed their operations, the disruptions caused in starting four months in 2020 could result in order delays and lead time across the supercapacitor’s supply chain during 2020.
– Also, due to the non-operational status of various industries across the world, the global demand for energy declined significantly. This is expected to influence the revenues of the power and utility industry vendors. For instance, according to Axios, the demand for energy post-COVID-19 outbreak increased from residential sectors. It is also expected that the sector will witness a minimum decline of 25% in demand from the education and commercial buildings. Such developments are expected to influence the supercapacitors market until the end of 2020.
Key Market Trends
Energy & Utilities to Hold a Significant Share
– The global energy crisis is opting for renewable and lasting energy sources, which may eventually replace fossil fuels. Supercapacitors/ultracapacitors are an important part of the solution to store and recycle energy. These systems have the unique ability to temporarily store a large amount of energy provided by the cyclical nature of wind, solar, and wave type systems.
– In solar photovoltaic applications, battery replacement after every three to seven years is necessary, as they tend to wear out. The use of a supercapacitor eliminates this need for frequent maintenance and replacement. Also, energy efficiency is a key aspect of producing renewable energy, and supercapacitors demonstrate higher charge efficiency than batteries. Over the past few years, there has been an increase in solar powerplants, with several new installed capacities in 2018, driving the market for the renewable energy sector.
– Also, the utilities are one of the significant end-user markets for supercapacitors. With the rising energy concerns and increasing technological advancement, the adoption of supercapacitors is witnessing a surge, especially in the emerging economies. Like generator bridging, their applications, ramping and regulation, primary frequency response, and voltage sag mitigation, are also providing a grid or microgrid monitoring and stabilization.
– Further, according to the US Energy Storage Monitor Utility, scale energy storage is a nascent, but rapidly growing market, and is expected to reach over USD 1 billion by 2020, in the United States alone; hence, offering a potential market to target for supercapacitors. Additionally, internal backup power is another application emerging in the market. Therefore, with the steadily increasing deployment of smart meters, power backup for electric and gas meters garners more attention.
– Furthermore, in France, in the first half of 2019, 19MW of new projects related to solar generation capacity was recorded, thus making a 12% expansion in the northern region. SER-Solar estimates that 1.5-1.7 GW of PV Project Capacity will be connected in 2020, and it will extend to 2-2.4GW in 2021. Such trends are further expected to drive the demand for supercapacitors in the country.
Asia-Pacific Expected to be the Fastest Growing Region
– Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region. The automotive industry has been growing rapidly in China, and the country is playing an increasingly important role in the global automotive market. The Government of China views its automotive industry, including the auto parts sector, as one of its pillar industries. The Central Government of China expects China’s automobile output to reach 30 million units by 2020 and 35 million units by 2025.
– The popularity of EVs is growing worldwide, and China is regarded as the dominant adopter of electric vehicles. The 13th Five-Year Plan of China promotes green transportation solutions, such as hybrid and electric vehicles, to advance the country’s transportation sector. The country is an early adopter of new technology that supports electric vehicles.
– Further, as part of its smart grid initiatives, South Korea started a smart grid pilot project on Jeju Island to investigate a smart grid network’s potential and effects. South Korean utility provider, S.K E&S, and telecom firm, S.K telecom, entered a deal with Semtech to deploy advanced metering infrastructure systems in the provinces of Busan, Seoul, and Gangwon. South Korea is currently conducting trials, post which the government plans to deploy significant rollouts, resulting in a substantial peak in demand for smart gas meters after 2018. Hence, the growing applications of supercapacitors in such areas are expected to drive the region’s growth.
– Moreover, in Australia, Cap-XX Limited primarily manufactures electronic capacitors, especially supercapacitors, with high energy density and power density, in small-sized flat packages. The company’s focus lies on making thin capacitors and producing a thin-line range of 0.2 mm. In December 2019, CAP-XX acquired Murata’s supercapacitor production lines and relocated them from Japan to Australia (Sydney). This shift was completed by June 2020. This is likely to further enhance the DMT series of Murata, which offers supercapacitors suited for extreme applications, such as solid-state drives and automotive applications.
– Further, the growth of the supercapacitor market in India is expected to be driven by automotive applications, such as regenerative braking, start-and-stop systems, and the powering of on-board electronic features. Many companies, such as Tata Motors and KPIT Technologies, are already exploring supercapacitors as an alternative energy storage option for their electric vehicles.
The supercapacitors market is competitive and consists of several major players. The market comprises long-standing established players who have made significant investments in the product. In terms of market share, few major players currently dominate the market. These major players, with a prominent share in the market, focus on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and profitability. Key players are Eaton Corporation PLC, Maxwell Technologies, Inc. (Tesla Inc.), and others. Recent developments in the market are –
– April 2020 – Skeleton Technologies Inc. partnered with Taltech and Tartu University to develop flexible ultracapacitors. The project is supported by the European Space Agency (ESA). The new types of ultracapacitors are specifically being developed for space technology because they are flexible, light, and at the same time, very strong. Researchers are using Curved Graphene to make bendable electrodes, which can be made into any shape.
– April 2020 – Electrochem Solution, an Integer Holdings Corporation (ITGR) company, and Nanoramic Laboratories announced that the two companies had signed a technology licensing partnership that allows Electrochem to manufacture, sell and distribute Nanoramic’s FastCAP EE Series ultracapacitors worldwide.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
– The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
– 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID -19 on the Market
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Rising Demand for Renewable Energy Solutions
4.4.2 Increasing Production of Supercapacitor -based Vehicles Owing to Environmental Concerns
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 Higher Costs Associated with the Products
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
5.1 Comparative Analysis of Supercapacitors and Conventional Dielectric
5.2 Types of Supercapacitors – EDLC, Psuedo, and Hybrid
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 End User
6.1.1 Consumer Electronics
6.1.2 Energy and Utilities
184.108.40.206 Grid Applications (Including Micro Grid and UPS)
220.127.116.11 Wind and Others
18.104.22.168 Bus and Truck
22.214.171.124 Rail and Tram
126.96.36.199 48V Mild Hybrid Ca
188.8.131.52 Micro Hybrids and Other Cars
184.108.40.206 Heavy Vehicles
6.2.1 United States
6.2.5 Korea and Rest of Asia
6.2.6 Rest of the World
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Eaton Corporation PLC
7.1.2 Maxwell Technologies Inc. (Tesla Inc.)
7.1.3 Skeleton Technologies Inc.
7.1.4 Cap-XX Limited
7.1.5 AVX Corporation
7.1.6 Supreme Power Solutions
7.1.7 LS Mtron Ltd
7.1.8 TOKIN Corporation
7.1.9 Shanghai Aowei Technology Development Co. Ltd
7.1.10 Ioxus Inc.
7.1.11 Panasonic Corporation
7.1.12 Jianghai Capacitor
7.1.13 Beijing HCC Energy
7.1.14 Jinzhou Kaimei Power Co. Ltd (KAM)
7.1.15 Shanghai Green Tech Co. Ltd (GTCAP)
7.1.16 Shenzhen Topmay Electronic Co., Ltd.
7.1.17 Liaoning Brother Electronics Technology Co. Ltd
7.1.18 SEMG (Seattle Electronics Manufacturing Group (HK) Co. Ltd)
7.1.19 Chengdu Ztech Polymer Material Co. Ltd
7.1.20 Shanghai Pluspark Electronics Co.,Ltd
7.1.21 Nippon Chemi-Con Corporation
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS